On Thursday 27 December 2001 05:52 pm, ABrady wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Dec 2001 12:20:27 -0800
>
> Hidong Kim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> implied:
> > Hi,
> >
> > After upgrading from Red Hat 7.0 to 7.2, I can't print.  When I
> > submit a print job, the output has several lines that read:
> >
> > **** Unable to open the initial device, quitting.
> >

> > I've tried creating a completely new queue, and I still get this
> > ouput. The printer is an Epson Stylus Color 800 local to the machine.
> > It's been working fine since Red Hat 6.0, until now.  Thanks for any
> > suggestions.
>
> Check out the eratta, and hope for the best.
>
> I have a friend that upgraded to 7.2 with a lexmark. It still doesn't
> print and there were no takers on this or the enigma lists. Eratta
> didn't fix it either.

I've actually posted this enough times to both lists that I now have it
saved as a file to insert into replies. :)

Have you applied all the printing updates? printconf*, Omni, foomatic,
and ghostscript all have updates.

After updating, the following _should_ solve the problem.

I installed the updates and removed the printer definition I had via
printconf-gui.
Then I did:
rm -rf /var/spool/lpd/*
redefine the printer via printconf-gui
/sbin/service lpd stop
rm -rf /var/cache/foomatic/{pcache,compiled}/*
/usr/sbin/printconf-backend --force-rebuild
/sbin/service lpd start

Have a look at:
https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/enigma-list/2001-November/002543.html
If you follow that thread, it gives more details.

Hope that helps,

- -D

- --

pgp key:  http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/pgpkey.txt