On Thu, 27 Dec 2001 22:52:41 -0500
Devon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> implied:

> On Thursday 27 December 2001 05:52 pm, ABrady wrote:
> > On Thu, 27 Dec 2001 12:20:27 -0800
> >
> > Hidong Kim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> implied:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > After upgrading from Red Hat 7.0 to 7.2, I can't print.  When I
> > > submit a print job, the output has several lines that read:
> > >
> > > **** Unable to open the initial device, quitting.
> > >

> > > I've tried creating a completely new queue, and I still get this
> > > ouput. The printer is an Epson Stylus Color 800 local to the
> > > machine. It's been working fine since Red Hat 6.0, until now.
> > > Thanks for any suggestions.
> >
> > Check out the eratta, and hope for the best.
> >
> > I have a friend that upgraded to 7.2 with a lexmark. It still
> > doesn't print and there were no takers on this or the enigma lists.
> > Eratta didn't fix it either.
>
> I've actually posted this enough times to both lists that I now have
> it saved as a file to insert into replies. :)
>
> Have you applied all the printing updates? printconf*, Omni, foomatic,
> and ghostscript all have updates.

 I did. He reinstalled and did it again. No difference.

> After updating, the following _should_ solve the problem.
>
> I installed the updates and removed the printer definition I had via
> printconf-gui.
> Then I did:
> rm -rf /var/spool/lpd/*
> redefine the printer via printconf-gui
> /sbin/service lpd stop
> rm -rf /var/cache/foomatic/{pcache,compiled}/*
> /usr/sbin/printconf-backend --force-rebuild
> /sbin/service lpd start
>
> Have a look at:
> https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/enigma-list/2001-November/002543.html
> If you follow that thread, it gives more details.

Sorry but I did that one, too. I'm not sure he tried it after his
reinstall.

It uses a lexmark-supplied printer driver. In 7.1 that driver needed
another rpm to be installed (vdk-something). It worked. In 7.2 the same
driver would install without the vdk rpm and not complain (gave a
dependency error under 7.1). The kicker is that everything in the
vdk-whatever rpm was also included in the lexmarkz52 rpm (and would
cause a complaint if trying to install both). I never did understand it.
I tried the lexmark one fresh: nada. I added the vdk (different ways
using --force and --replacefiles and so on): still nothing. Each time I
deleted old stuff and restarted lpd, etc. I even went so far as to go
backward to the files that worked in 7.1 without any improvement.

Last I knew he was going back to 7.1 to see if he could get it to work a
little more stable than he had it before. He might not have done so yet
(despite a couple of weeks passing) because he had a boatload of other
things to do to a house.

--
Remember to proofread. You may have something out.