On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 05:09:03PM -0600, Julian Opificius wrote:
> Sorry, I don't know what FEATURE is, and I don't know what m4 is.

Not a problem.  'm4' is a venerable yet powerful macro preprocessor
that has been in Unix since, well, forever.  It is the basis of the C
and original C++ macro preprocessors, and even after all this time is
a feature-rich tool.

Sendmail has one of the most obtuse configuration syntaxes ever created;
in my mind, only second to Forth as a write-only 'language'.  Dense,
effecting a tremendous number and range of mail-related features in
a compact syntax, but very human-unfriendly.  This caused innumerable
errors and difficulty over time.

m4 has been used to provide a set of macros that allow more
admin-friendly creation of sendmail configuration files from a
much simpler config description file.  This input file, usually
/etc/sendmail.mc (or /etc/mail/sendmail.mc), is run as the input to m4,
producing the full sendmail configuration file, usually /etc/sendmail.cf
(/etc/mail/sendmail.cf).  FEATURE is one of these macros.

This has been beautifully documented in one of the O'Reilly series of
books.  It is VERY much to your advantage to get this book, abandon
managing sendmail via LinuxConf, and simply use the latest version of
sendmail from sendmail.org.

Cheers,
--
        Dave Ihnat