On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 08:45:43AM -0600 or thereabouts, Dave Ihnat wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 08:11:31AM -0600, Gary wrote:
> > hosts does not give resolution for static names, just IP addresses. Your
> > windows / Linux LAN cannot ping by name, just IP address only, no
> > aliases either. That is for DNS
>
> I'm sorry, but this is just so totally, absolutely, flat-out wrong.
> I'm at least glad we can catch this misconception early and set it
> to rights.  Please read the rest of the responses in this thread,
> then go read up on the resolver routines.  We'll be glad to clear up
> any questions.

Dave,
Thank you for your detailed explanation above, Yes, you are absolutely
correct, and you explained it in an excellent manner.  This was
different from my prior readings, long ago, and even how I was taught
long ago..  Your detailed explanation above, makes perfect sense.

--
Best regards,
Gary

Today's thought:   Incoming fire has the right of way.