On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 07:35:15PM -0500 or thereabouts, Devon wrote:
> On Thursday 03 January 2002 06:56 pm, Gary wrote:
>
> > I want to network 3 puters... 2 RH and one winders, your basic class C
> > 192.168.0.x type setup..  Now, I am not running a named server, just
> > use /etc/hosts.. all on a switch. One problem... I cannot ping any of
> > them...  I never had this problem before... I just installed RH, using
> > the default medium firewall setup.
>
> You can't ping them by hostname or IP address? You've tried from
> different machines as well? For example windows -> redhat1, redhat1 ->
> redhat2, redhat2 -> windows, etc.

Ping by IP address, i.e. 192.168.0.2  Hostname will not work without
named server..  Your example is correct, not can I ping from RH1 ->
windows or RH2..  This is crazy..  also, ifconfig shows eth0 UP.. Just
for the heck of it, I rebooted into my old distro, and all works fine,
Even SAMBA to the windows box works fine, but I can't even get off the
ground floor here, as I can't even ping between the boxes...  I have
been playing around with this almost all day.

> I'm not using the default firewall here, perhaps it blocks ping requests?

that's what I am thinking, but do not know how to check or fix..

> Just guesses at this point, but have to start somewhere, no? ;)

Most definetly <g>...  any ideas..

--
Best regards,
Gary