Well, in the absence of a response by a guru, here's the scoop on
forwarding ...

Forwarding was intended to be used in larger networks where there are
multiple names servers. To minimize traffic to the "big cloud" one server
is nominated as a local master, and all other servers send their requests
to the forwarding server, wait a while, then go to the main upstream
servers themselves (which would happen if the forwarding server went down).
Assuming the forwarding server is functioning, it will cache the results of
resolves for subsequent reuse for other local requests, thus minimizing
traffic to the outside world.

Note that the according to the design philosophy, forwarding server is
intended to be on your own network.

In my case (and I suspect in yours), there is only one DNS machine. This
means that there is no concept of concentrating DNS calls through one
caching server, because there IS only one server.
If you set your own DNS server up to treat the upstream server as a
forwarding server (note the wording!), then it will do exactly what it
would do anyway, because there is no other LOCAL server for it to go to
first. Which means your configuration will work :-)

<major clipage>

Julian.

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after me ...

Julian Opificius. ICQ 3268206.