I have little bits of time over a few months now and cannot figure out how
basic network services work on rh7.2.

The problem I am having is the following: I upgraded the harddrive in my
laptop.  At the same time I installed 7.2 from 6.2.  I normally use DHCP
to get an IP address for the computer.  The first problem is if I forget
to connect the ethernet cable, before turning on the computer, I cannot
figure out how to make the computer request an IP address.  There is
nothing wrong with the computer, because when I connect the cable and
restart everthing works.  Everything I have tried, which is a long list
does not seem to work.  If I run "ifconfig" after forgetting to connect to
ethernet cable the only interface is "lo" If I try using the control-panel
to activate the ethernet interface it hangs (It may be taking a long time
and has not timed out, I have not left it to find out)

The second problem is I use my computer for troubleshooting and will
change the IP address to a static IP address.  I have not been able to
make this work either.

Would somebody please explain to me how to do these.

thanks
david