Jeff,

On Tuesday 15 January 2002 04:30, you said something about:
> Hi all. Does anyone know how to make the detail view for files the
> default view so I do not always have to change it when opening?

OK, here's two answers for this. Don't worry, the answer is not obvious, so
it is easily missed.

1. Open up Konqueror.

2. Set the window size, detail view, anything else that you prefer to have it
the way you want it (you can always do this again though)

3. Select the "Window" pulldown (who would have thought ;)

4. Select 'Save View Profile "File Management"'

That will save all of your default settings. You can also use the "Configure
other Views available.

Second/additional option...

You can have it save the settings for each directory individually.

1. Go to "Settings"

2. Select "View properties saved in directory"

It will place a small file in each directory, telling Konq your preferances
for it. This is nice for when you have a directory full of images and you set
the view to "View -> Preview -> images" on, it will give little icons of each
image to make selection easier (but slow down the directory listing a
little). Kind of like a built in thumbnail system.

> Also, every time I log on as user and start the home icon of
> konquer I get the error message "The file or directory / does not
> exist" I press Ok and the box goes away and everything is fine.
> What does this mean and how do I fix it.

Go to "Settings -> Configure Konqueror"

When the new window comes up, check under the "File Manager" icon to see what
your "Home URL" is set to. It should be "~/". If it is not, that is your
problem. If it is, you may need to provide more details (like what you've
played with and whatnot).

> I just installed RedHat and this is my first linux experience. I am
> just a dumb Windows user so please if you choose to answer
> please keep it simple. Thank you. -Jeff

Hope that was all clear

Usability documentation is poor :( So you should feel free to click on things
a lot (not as root though)). You can also get into the spirit and write up
instructions and submit them to the programmers, they will appreciate it
greatly.

Welcome aboard. ;)

--
Brian Ashe                                                     CTO
Dee-Web Software Services, LLC.                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]