> Indeed.  The point we, the smartasses, were making is that Linuxconf
> is a good idea that just happens to be a bad idea.  With all due
> respect to its author, who undertook an incredibly ambitious task,
> it's just too flaky in practice.  Further -- and though I freely admit
> that this is a philosophical matter and not a technical one, I know
> that many here share the sentiment -- tools like Linuxconf teach you
> little or nothing about the system, and that's not helpful to you in
> the long run.

My 0.2c

Agreed on the above.

HOWEVER!!!

Let's be serious, what is wrong with a tool that does everything? We were
all brought up on .conf files, we learn them, know them, etc. But
really.....why the necessity? Why try to remember the syntax of every single
.conf file? With 10 + services running at least it IS NOT easy to remember
where everything goes for the occasional administrator or newbie.

Whether we tick some boxes in a GUI, or write 5 odd statements in a config
file, does it really matter how they actually translate? They both perform
the same job right? Ticking boxes in the other non-operating system I won't
mention causes things to go in one database called the registry. Really the
registry is just one big database of config files. We never bother trying to
read the registry, because it's almost as confusing as some config files. I
mean, sendmail.cf comes to mind. Look at the mail rules at the back of the
file and pretend you've never seen it before. It really is a mess. We all
use a macro processor file to write the cf file so we don't have to deal
with that stuff right?

Sorry for this bit of ramble, but my opinion is that just because it's not
hard core or 'the way it was done' doesn't mean it shouldn't be done like
that. I really do think it IS all a little backwards and not exactly
progression.

Imagine all the newbie questions dissappearing off this list for starters
about where things are.

Just another view.