nope, no solution yet
but like you, telnet has the "lag" as well.
my machine however hasn't been updated since i did a full rh6.2 install
since i can't find any up2date software in there.
but if we're both having the same issue, that's probably not it.

the reverse dns issue would make sense if i wasn't running the dns
server myself, and it seems to be working just find here in the office
directing all the right people to the rh6.2 box for webservice.  (which
by the way has no lag - leading me to believe it's a inetd problem).

i'm totally out of ideas, i mean if this had happened after i
reconfigured something on that machine, or if there were a logfile i
knew to look at then i might have a chance, but i have no idea.  sorry