Patrick Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> So I'm wondering what the problem is.  Is it that I can't be su to run cvs?
> The problem is that the files I'm creating come from the output of commands
> that are run as root user.  I'd rather not su the exit and then commit.  So
> I guess I'm asking what are the restrictions on a local repository?  I have
> read the frigging manual and can not find any mention of this whatsoever...

I hope someone gives you a better answer.  I posted that question on
gnu.cvs.help a while back and learned there is a technique for
compiling cvs with out that block against root commits.  I tried the
advice given and it never worked for me.  Even recompiled on two
machines so both had had theh flags set. But that was actually remote
committing but not a pserver.  A ssh setup.

On the local machine I sudo from user to root and don't see that message
comeup.  You'd probably find several discussions at www.groups.google.

Plug in +root +commit and aim it at gnu.cvs.help  Maybe even insert
the author .. `Larry Jones' answers hundered of questions there and
has handled that one a few times.

Sorry I couldn't find the old messages now.

The sudo thing is tolerable though.  All it takes is installing sudo
and looking at the file provided /etc/sudoers.  You'll see what to
edit right away.

Then when commiting.  As a user you'd say:
     sudo cvs commit ...whatever.

Oh, here is a hefty thread from google groups that may help:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&threadm=x7snalrguj.fsf%40reader.newsguy.com&rnum=5&prev=/groups%3Fas_q%3Dcommit%2520root%26as_ugroup%3Dgnu.cvs.help%26as_usubject%3Dcommit%2520root%26hl%3Den

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&frame=right&th=1535771fdbcf9f8&seekm=m11yi7tuz2.fsf%40reader.newsguy.com#link1

Boy those are some heavy duty addresses eh?
In case that is broken by mail plug in subject `cvs commit as root'
On the newsgroup I mentioned.