Hi All,

I have setup a new dual boot machine with W2k and RH 7.2.  I want to test the reliability and speed differences between IP Masquerading and Internet Connection Sharing.  This new machine has 2 ethernet cards, one goes to the cable modem and the other to the internal network (static ip addr = 192.168.0.1).  I have tested the machne for internet access in RH 7.2 and all works fine.  Also, I can ping the machine from all other internal network machines just fine.

I was previously running RH 7.1, an upgrade from 7.0, as my internet server using IP Masquerading on another machine I have tucked away untouched as a backup.  The new machine as above is intended to replace this backup machine.

I added to my rc.d file on the new machine the following from my old machine:

# IP Masquerading
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
extip = "`/sbin/ifconfig eth1 | grep | 'inet addr' | awk '{print $2}' | sed -e 's/.*://'`"
/sbin/ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
/sbin/route add -net 127.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 lo
/sbin/ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1
/sbin/ifconfig eth1 $extip
/sbin/route add $extip eth1
/sbin/route add -net 192.168.0.0.0 eth0
echo "loading IP Masquerading Modules..."
/sbin/depmod -a
/sbin/modprobe ipip
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_ftp
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_raudio
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_irc
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_autofw
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_cuseeme
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_portfw
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_quake
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_user
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_vdolive
echo -n "Forward..."
/sbin/ipchains -F forward
/sbin/ipchains -P forward DENY
/sbin/ipchains -A forward -j MASQ -s 192.168.0.0/24
/sbin/ipchains -A forward -s 0.0.0.0/0 -d 0.0.0.0/0 -l -j REJECT
echo "done."

This always worked fine on my old machine, but I get alot of errors during boot on the new machine during run of rc.d.  The error messages fly by so fast I can't read them.  IP masquerading does not work on the new machine.

Please help.

Thanks,
Bill