On Thu, 23 May 2002 21:27:04 -0400
Hugh,

     See if
            :syntax off
     works. Also check out:

           http://vim.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/syntax.html#syntax

I've pasted a bit below...

                        Regards......Tom

---snip->
You can toggle the syntax on/off with this command
   :if exists("syntax_on") | syntax off | else | syntax enable | endif

To put this into a mapping, you can use:
   :map <F7> :if exists("syntax_on") <Bar>
        \   syntax off <Bar>
        \ else <Bar>
        \   syntax enable <Bar>
        \ endif <CR>
[using the |<>| notation, type this literally]

Details
The ":syntax" commands are implemented by sourcing a file.  To see
exactly how
this works, look in the file:
    command             file
    :syntax enable      $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/syntax.vim
    :syntax on          $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/syntax.vim
    :syntax manual      $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/manual.vim
    :syntax off         $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/nosyntax.vim
Also see |syntax-loading|.

----end snip->