HI Tom:

Thanks for your reply.

From: Tom Pollerman Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2002 6:43 PM

>      See if
>             :syntax off

Same error (E319).

>      works. Also check out:
>
>            http://vim.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/syntax.html#syntax
>
> I've pasted a bit below...
>
>                         Regards......Tom
>
> ---snip->
> You can toggle the syntax on/off with this command
>    :if exists("syntax_on") | syntax off | else | syntax enable | endif

This seems to work but leaves the colours in the "command mode"
colours - light-blue on blue - not very legible.

> To put this into a mapping, you can use:
>    :map <F7> :if exists("syntax_on") <Bar>
>         \   syntax off <Bar>
>         \ else <Bar>
>         \   syntax enable <Bar>
>         \ endif <CR>
> [using the |<>| notation, type this literally]

Is this at the command prompt within VIM? If so did not work
or, more likely, I typed it wrong.

> Details
> The ":syntax" commands are implemented by sourcing a file.  To see
> exactly how
> this works, look in the file:
>     command             file
>     :syntax enable      $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/syntax.vim
>     :syntax on          $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/syntax.vim
>     :syntax manual      $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/manual.vim
>     :syntax off         $VIMRUNTIME/syntax/nosyntax.vim
> Also see |syntax-loading|.

I will take a more detailed look at these.

Still in all these suggestions appear to all have one thing in
common. They are executed from with in an instance of vim. Is
there no way, such as a configuration file or environment
variable that would signal it not to use colors in the first
place?

Thanks muchly for all the suggestions.

Regards, Hugh

--
Hugh E Cruickshank, Forward Software, www.forward-software.com

> ----end snip->
>
> > From: "Hugh E Cruickshank" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Subject: RE: Terminal color support
> > Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 11:54:39 -0700
> >
> > From: Bret Hughes Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2002 11:34 AM
> > >
> > > :syn off
> > >

> > I assume that is to be issued within vim. It does not work on
> > RH7.2(VIM 6.0). It returns the error:
> >
> >   E319: Sorry, the command is not available in this version
> >
> > Regards, Hugh
> >
> > --
> > Hugh E Cruickshank, Forward Software, www.forward-software.com
> > ---