Hello Hugh,

Thursday, May 23, 2002, 2:21:21 PM, you textually orated:

HEC> Call me a dinosaur but I really do not like software that "helps"
HEC> me by displaying things in different colours (that's not a typo -
HEC> I am a canuck dinosaur). I find it very difficult to read which
HEC> tends to be counterproductive to the purpose of "helping").

HEC> I have been able to defeat ls by setting up an alias in .bashrc but
HEC> vim is driving me right batty. Is there anyway to turn off colours
HEC> in vim? I have found thousands of references on how to setup colours
HEC> and change them but nothing on how to turn them off.

For ls you simply need to edit the /etc/DIR_COLORS file and change the line
that reads "COLOR=tty" to "COLOR=none".

For vim (can't guarantee this) try changing your terminal type. Vi should
depend on this for what to send out. There is a specific terminal for linux
with color suppressed. Try adding (or at the command line type)
export TERM=linux-m to your ~/.bash_profile

Hope that helps you get back in the doldrums of monochrome ;)

Have fun,
 Brian Ashe                     CTO
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]              Dee-Web Software Services, LLC.
 http://www.dee-web.com/