OK, I admit it, I'm new to Linux.  Although, in a former life I did
administer SunOS systems.  But for the sake of argument, let's assume I
know nothing about Linux/UNIX other than how to spell them.

I recently installed RedHat 7.3 (2.4.18-3/Valhalla) at home.  Using the
update agent, I got all kinds of updates, including the 2.4.18-5 kernel.
Much to my dismay, the default make of the kernel does NOT include
support of any kind for NTFS.  Well, at least that's my take on it.

So I spent yesterday afternoon figuring out how to enable NTFS support
(read-only) using xconfig, and remaking the kernel.  This was
accomplished by following the Linux kernel how-to FAQ stuff on the web.
Making various adjustments and following along, I was able to create a
new kernel with NTFS support, but it's based on the 2.4.18-3 sources
that I originally downloaded and burned to CD.

So here's my question, which is actually a two-parter:

1a. Is there a way to update the 2.4.18-3 NTFS-enabled kernel to the
latest version without losing NTFS filesystem support?

1b. Is there a way to add filesystem support to the kernel without
having to remake the entire bloody thing?

Thanks for any help with this.

- kamal