Thanks to everyone who helped me with this.  When I re-ran the update
agent after installing the older kernel sources from CD, it offered to
get me the newer kernel sources.

I then just followed the kernel how-to and tweaked as necessary.  I've
learned that it's important to save your configuration if you've changed
anything, because there were a fair number of changes from the default
kernel installation, and doing a "make xconfig" starts you at the
defaults.

Now my system is running 2.4.18=5 with NTFS enabled in the kernel.  Can
NTFS support just be loaded as necessary by loading and unloading the
module at run time, thus avoiding adding it to the kernel?

- kamal