> As you said, BSD is UNIX not Linux.  Has been around for 30 years I
> believe.

The original AT&T Unix by Thompson and Ritchie is around 30 years old.
"BSD" as in the Berkeley Software Distribution is 25.
You keep referring to FreeBSD, but that's just one of several flavors
of BSD.  FreeBSD is only 10 years old.

> It (FreeBSD) will run Linux apps and gui by their ports
> system, and most everything will run which has been ported, or you can
> build your own port.

FreeBSD runs linux apps via its emulation code in the kernel.  The
ports collection has nothing to do with it.  Ports is FreeBSD's (and
OpenBSD's) way of installing/managing software.

> In my opinion, BSD is mainly used by some for
> webservers, mailservers, firewalls, etc, and not the
> desktop/workstation because of the extra layer needed to run linux
> apps.

This is just plain wrong.  FreeBSD makes a great workstation and can
run all the window managers you can think of that run on linux.
OpenBSD and NetBSD are also perfectly good for the desktop.
I run FreeBSD 4.6 on one of my desktops with XFree86 4, Blackbox, and
KDE 3.  I have OpenBSD 3.1 with XFree86 4 and Blackbox window manager
on my IBM Thinkpad laptop.

> Linux kind of took over in popularity big time, but of course
> the Mac runs BSD on it now.

Linux is more popular (especially from a commercial perspective) and
tends to have newer hardware sooner than the BSDs.  Mac runs a twisted
meld of FreeBSD, NetBSD, some of the original 4.4BSD Lite, as well as
the Mach kernel developed at Carnegie-Mellon.

> best to check the freebsd.org website for a better understanding and
> history.

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-current/src/share/misc/bsd-fa
mily-tree

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/opensources/book/kirkmck.html

http://www.levenez.com/unix/