Actually...reiserfs was not originally designed as a journaling file
system.  It was a file system (without journaling) that sped up access
to small files.

So, both filesystems have had journaling added after they were
initially written.

-Sam

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 04:40:52PM -0700, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-08-19 at 16:33, Taylor Spears wrote:
> > Well, I decided to go with ReiserFS. Ext3fs just sorta seems like a hack
> > to ext2 to get journaling.
>
> You could, I suppose, look at it one of two ways:
> * ext3 is a hack on an old system
> * ext2 was designed as an extensible, modular file system into which
> additional features can be added; and journaling is a natural fit.
>
> The large group of people happy with ext3 are likely to take the second
> view.
>
> > I also heard that ext3 is pretty slow
> > compared to reiser
>
> Depends on the purpose.  If you have directories with many entries, then
> that's true.  However, I understand that the ext3 driver will, at some
> point, use b-tree structures internally, speeding up access to files in
> large directories considerably.
>
> > , and they are both very reliable. However, XFS looks
> > really slick. It says it uses ACL's. Are these somewhat like NT style
> > ACL'L, where you can choose individual user permissions, or is it like
> > the old -rwxrwxrwx type of permission system
>
> It's both.  The standard UNIX permissions are preserved, in the form of
> user, group, and world permissions.  However, rather than a single entry
> for each, user and group are lists.  You can add additional users or
> groups to any fs object and set permissions for them individually.
>

> --

Sam Ockman, Chairman and CEO
Tel:  415-358-2600   Fax:  415-896-6742   Toll Free:  888-PENGUIN
PENGUIN COMPUTING - Simplifying the Solution Process [tm]
www.penguincomputing.com