On Mon, 2002-08-26 at 21:16, Martin Mewes wrote:

> So best attempt may would be to have something like "MS-Linux" to fit
> in both worlds. Linux for the admins, and "MS" for the Users who only
> want to Click'n-Rush.

Have any of you guys seen Lindows?  It is a "MS-Linux" with a
Click'n-Rush (called Click'n Run).  The user is presented with a KDE
desktop with Windows-like menus and icons for internet access, email,
etc.  The current release includes a (nonfunctional) network
neighborhood.  I find it frustrating as I don't care for KDE and it
doesn't include the basic utilities to configure and install a source.
You can d/l the deb packages for these.  With some work, I was able to
customize mine back into a Debian distro. Suppose that the defeats the
point, though, :-)

On the other hand, users in my office couldn't see much difference
between Lindows running Mozilla and StarOffice 6.0 and Windows with the
usual Office crap installed. I realize you can do this with almost any
distro, but the desktop is the clincher -- it's so familiar to them.

Lindows has a way to go before a total newbie could use it -- printer
support is weak, doesn't recognize Linmodems, some cd burners -- and all
the other small device problems Linux users must overcome.  It would
work, however, it an environment where there is a systems admin to set
up all the hardware.  I don't think the users would need extensive
retraining to be productive with the Lindows OS and the "Click 'n Run"
software.

Cheers,

Susan Murray