I recently converted a couple of RH 7.3 boxen to use devfs.  I did this by
taking the most recent kernel SRPM, changed the configs, and built the
appropriate kernel/modules and kernel-source rpms.  I also, of course, built
a nice RPM for devfsd (1.3.25, if anyone cares).

The rc.sysinit file checks to see if we're running devfs, and if so,
will automagically start "/sbin/devfsd /dev".  So far, so good, right?
Right.  Problem is that when the machine is halted or rebooted, the scripts
don't kill the devfsd process, resulting in the inability to umount the
root filesystem.

Of course, I've changed my /etc/init.d/halt script to stop the devfsd and
umount /dev, but shouldn't these have already been done by RH?

I plan on filing a bugzilla report when I get back from my meeting later
today, but I thought I might open this up for discussion...

--
Jason Costomiris <><           |  Technologist, geek, human.
                    My account, My opinions.