Arlington, Wa., U.S.A.
                                                        29 September 2002  00:58

To:     Anthony Abby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

From:   Lou Mueller  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Subject:        Re: RH8/Bluecurve

        Hi.  Have you looked through the package options before installing RH8?
In the past, there have been other file managers/browsers included in the
distributions, and the installer could select one or more of them.  I do
not have RH8, so I cannot be sure if that is the case with that version.

        Unfortunately, these major changes are made without your approval or
mine.  We humans are often a perverse and stiff-necked lot.  We dislike
being forced out of our comfortable habits and modes of behavior.  At the
same time, those who prepare or control the tools and methods we use
often become enchanted by something they consider "new and better," which
is their privilege.  Because they, too, are stiff-necked and perverse,
they become dictators and, in their enthusiasm for the "new and better"
tool or method, force changes on us that we do not welcome.  They are not
prepared to offer options, rather than dictate changes, so they reveal
their own version of the "Redmond mentality."

        My form of being stiff-necked and perverse is to continue using
10-year-old DOS software, running under Novell/DR-DOS 7.2 (WordPerfect
6.1 and Quicken 8 for DOS, among others).  With personal changes to the
Star Office word processor configuration, I have found Star Office to be
an acceptable replacement when in LInux, but it will not read and write
WordPerfect file formats, so I use RTF formats to exchange between the
two programs and operating systems.  Another aggravation and complexity,
but I am not prepared to spend months writing "filters" and any other
software necessary to make the process simpler and more automatic.

        It's ironic that most of us who use Linux do so to avoid the clutches of
the Beast of Redmond, with his penchant for changing software at his
whim, but now find ourselves being subjected to similar treatment by
companies we embrace because they offer us an alternative we like.  They,
too, often become brethren to the Beast.