On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 17:38, Mitchell Wright wrote:
> On 10/10/02 6:50 AM, "Julian Morcinek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Within the last six weeks, I bought and installed Redhat 7.3. Lo and
> > behold, Redhat have released a major version change to 8.0.
> > If they don't offer me the free upgrade, I want my money back.
> >
> > Am I being unreasonable?
> At the risk of starting a flame war (this is a sensitive list isn't guys?) I
> would like to throw my two cents in and say yes.
>
> You did not buy Red Hat. You bought the convenience of a pre cut CD and
> maybe some hard copy documentation shipped to your door. You could have
> downloaded either for free of their website at any point.

I agree.  I bought O'Reilly's "Java in a Nutshell" Second Edition a
while back.  Shortly thereafter the Third and even Fourth editions were
printed.  I didn't expect or receive any kind of "free" offer or
discount.

A few vendors will offer free upgrades to keep sales from slumping
before some sort of major release, but those are normally hardware guys
offering software upgrades (e.g. Dell offering upgrades to Win XP before
its release).  It's less of a problem for them;  their money is in the
hardware sale.  I don't recall any software vendors making such offers.