I've always subscribed to the theory that less is more when it comes to permissions. I have apache set up to run as "apache" in the "www" group. All directories are owned by "apache", and in the group "www". All directories are at least 750, with most being 770 (so that the people working on the site can write to it, since their in the "www" group too), but from the document root down, other has no permissions at all. Basically, what I'm trying to say is that instead of giving other read and execute permission, it would be better to change the ownership recursively from document root to whatever he has apache running as (as long as he doesn't have it set to the default "nobody").

Just my $0.02