On Wed, 6 Nov 2002, Joe Wittmer wrote:

> I am new to the list, a linux newbee, and trying to learn how to setup a
> mail/webserver. Are there any web tutorials out there that can assist me?
> Any pointers in the right direction are greatly appreciated.
>
> What my ISP is promising to give me is:
>
> _ a block of 5 static IP addresses
> _ dns services for two domains
>
> And, what I want to provide is:
>
> _ POP/SMTP servers for Windows Clients
> _ Apache Webserver
> _ FTP server
> _ Telnet access (atleast initially)
> _ Webmail (possibly if not difficult)
>
> I would like to install atleast the minimal services to have something that
> will work on the local LAN to send and receive mail until I receive my
> static IPs. I know enough to edit files and navigate around. Loading X is
> not manditory for me, but if it is easier to learn I can do that as well. I
> have RH 8.0 right now.

Check out installation cookbook and configuration shell script for such a
critter at:

http://www-jerry.oit.duke.edu

Shell script is internally commented heavily and prints lots of info,
which should help you to learn to do it yourself.  Just look at what it
does and how it does it.  Some people have found it helpful as a HOWTO.

The only thing not included is a web mail client such as squirrelmail or
twig or imp.

  .~.   Jerry Winegarden
 / v \  OIT/Technical Support, Duke University
/( _ )\ [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www-jerry.oit.duke.edu
  ^ ^