On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 13:41, Joe Polk wrote:
> [...]

Depends on whether or not you have a lot of stuff you want to keep.  Did
you make a seperate parition for your home directories.  If not you
can't without wiping out your personal stuff.

On the other hand, if you did, I installed RH8 over an old SuSE 8.0
install.  I wiped out my .gnome* dirs after backing up nautilus scripts
and then put them back on my first login and it was fine.

> > 2. Is OpenOffice compatable with MS Office? Star Office?

It is very compatible.  One problem I see often is that I get documents
that open up with no issues whatsoever EXCEPT I have some errant odd
character repeating in the document.  I usually just find and replace
the character and it is fine and I can re-save to doc format for the
Office folks.

> > 3. I read somewhere (a LOOOOOOOOONG time ago) that Linux requires an
> > external modem, for setup. Is this still true?

No not really depending on the type of internal modem you have.  Most
winmodems I have run up against have been lucent technology winmodems
and driver support for those are excellent.  Here is the link:

http://www.sfu.ca/~cth/ltmodem/dists/redhat/

> > 4. Are there drivers for all the different (major) brands of
> > printers? If I have a printer for which there are no internal
> > drivers where could I get the drivers?

There are two ways to set up printing for linux -- CUPS and LPR.  Do NOT
worry about it though.  Just looks at Redhat's hardware compaitibility
and use the gui to set up the printer.  As long as you confirm here:

http://hardware.redhat.com/hcl/

That the printer is supported you should be fine.  Do NOT go out and buy
anything for your computer hardware-wise without doing a quick check
first for compatibility.  Especially for newer all-in-one
printer/scanner machines and USB devices like scanners.  Check first
before you buy.  It is not like being a mac head and being able to spot
out the mac symbol on the side of the box for compatibility.

> > Ok, I think that's all Ihave for now. Any help you could give would
> > be greatly appreciated.

Hope you have fun with linux.

> > Andre---

> > Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now
Johnathan Bailes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>