On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 02:18:49PM -0600, Bret Hughes wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-12-19 at 13:53, Ed Wilts wrote:
> Sort of a bummer since we use the distro for non server based tasks but
> require considerable testing before rolling out a config.  I would think
> that this will slow down the acceptance of RHL on the corporate desktop
> as well for the same reason. Maybe there will be a corporate desktop
> release to handle this, but not availible in binary unless you pay for
> it.

Here strikes one scarcley used aspect of Linux (actually of X11). As
proven by the Linux Terminal Server Project, you can have diskless
clients processing their workload in a central server. Such a server
would most likely make good use of RHAS' optimizations.

> Interesting times indeed.  As people (read corporations ) begin to
> evaluate linux side by side with windows I wonder where the priceing has
> to be before windows looks better.  Significant differences still exist
> of course but thre eis a considerable difference between free and what
> ever windows xp costs.

But the comparison is not against windows itself, but rather with WinXP
server running Terminal Services with the Citrix Metaframe addon. I will
have some hard numbers on the subject by the end of January, since I'm
writing my degree thesis on the subject.

Cheers,
--
Javier Gostling                        Av. Kennedy 5757, of. 1502
Ingeniero de Sistemas                  Las Condes, Santiago, Chile