On Mon, 7 Jan 2002 12:15, _nasturtium wrote:
> > > I was reading the FAQ on www.namesys.com and it seems Reiser4 is
> > > sponsored (but not endorsed by...) by DARPA (Defence Advanced Research
> > > Projects Agency?). That seems like a good source of funds compared to
> > > your support business - your Support page only claims one
> > > request/payment every few days.
> >
> > You should try running a business when you grow up.  Then you will
> > discover the perilous position that having only a single customer can
> > place you in.
>
> Looks like my post was a bit incomplete - Reiser is also sponsored by SuSE
> (formerly mp3.com), ApplianceWare and BigStorage Inc. You can verify it by
> going to www.reiserfs.com. Having 4 probably contracted sponsors is a good
> way to have a business. Read "The Code Book" (Simon Singh) or any good
> history book and you will find that the Enigma cipher machine was bought
> almost totally by the German military.  Scherbius, the inventor, made a LOT
> of money.

One example does not prove the generic case.

For every inventor who makes a lot of money there are at least 100 who don't.
Most new businesses don't last 2 years, most small businesses don't last 10
years.  If you run a business and want it to last you have to have
contingency plans and backups.  Tieing everything to one source of income is
very dangerous for a small business, especially if what you are doing is not
a core business area for your customer.  ReiserFS isn't important enough for
the US government to take such a risk.

Also Hans just mentioned that Applianceware went out of business, surely that
demonstrates how it is better to have multiple sources of income.

> There is only one use of the user-pays support every few day - someone
> commented it was because there are hardly any errors.  If questions can be
> answered on this list, why would anyone pay??!! Hans Reiser is too helpful
> on this list - if he didn't answer namesys would make a lot more money.

So now you're saying that Hans is too helpful for his own good and that he
should cease providing free help?

> What do you mean by when you grow up? Perhaps you should resit the German
> history test - if you're even a freshman.

What is the relevance of German history to ReiserFS discussion?