David Masover wrote:

Peter wrote:

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 17:27:20 -0500, David Masover wrote:
snip...

both mkfs.reiserfs and fsck.reiserfs have -B option to accept list of
bad blocks. We thought that should be enough.

It really should. Why bother with a patch? Just write a wrapper script
that runs badblocks and passes in the list to mkfs.

It was just a thought from userland. My perspective was that a user, not a hard-boiled geek, might get lulled into a false sense of security but may
not have the wherewithal to write a wrapper. If nothing else, when the
final doc is written (did I say final?:)), it should include a notice
about not running badblocks.

Well, let's see... Most hard drives come more thoroughly tested at the factory than anything badblocks would do. Also, it seems redundant to have every single mkfs have to implement a badblocks flag..

I'd suggest a universal wrapper, then, or a modification to the "mkfs" frontend, so that this works the same way across all filesystems. Something like "mkfs -B -t reiser4"

I don't think that modern drives that fail writes are worth using for a brand new file system.

While failing reads is quite common and can be caused by temporal issues (dirt on the platter, a bad write, etc), failed writes are almost always a sign that you have a serious issue. Almost all modern drives remap each failed write to a bad sector automatically. This action only fails if you have exhausted this remapping area (or have some really nasty issue like a bad cable, bad write head, etc).

Having mkfs ignore bad writes would seem to encourage users to create a new file system on a disk that is known to be bad & most likely not going to function well. If a user ever has a golden opportunity to toss a drive in the trash, it is when they notice mkfs fails ;-) This option to mkfs sounds like an invitation to disaster.

The other tools (debugreiserfs, reiserfsck, etc) do need to be able to handle bad blocks as well as possible since they are often needed during a salvage operation. in order to recover data (which might need to be migrated to a new disk). It is not clear to me that passing a list of bad blocks helps them as much as a robust general purpose error recovery support.