But see Levitan v. Ashcroft, 281 F.3d 1313 (D.C. Cir. 2002) (finding issue of material fact in claim that denial of wine during communion was substantial burden on religion).

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Steven Jamar
Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2005 5:22 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: Nullifying RLUIPA

I do think an inmate's dietary demands based on religion could be denied.  I just can't imagine a situation where they would indeed need to be -- where the religious dietary demands are such that compliance is much of burden.  It is not a burden to serve beans as well as beef; chicken as well as pork.

One dietary demand that could be refused:  wine in communion, I should think -- if all alcohol is banned.

Steve