The Phelps case is easy because of the unique facts.  I don't think that
the Code Pink protests come close to matching the Phelps' protests.
Several writers in this thread have made the point that there is
something special about funerals, and ceremony, and ritual, and grief,
and that the law ought to be able to accommodate that special quality of
funerals.

It is not enough to suppose that "first amendment principles" (if that
means free speech only) trump everything else because then we have
privileged every imaginable and horrible type of bullying, harassment or
worse.  Of course, it is easy enough to say that at some point speech
becomes action and therefore subject to regulation and prohibition of a
sort not typically associated with "speech."  But a more straightforward
approach would recognize that some speech needs to be regulated, even
prohibited.

The only question that remains is where might one draw lines, a concern
that is important, but hardly controlling.

It is enough to focus on the social, cultural, and psychological reality
of funerals.  That really cannot be all that difficult to do, can it?
Has not the law acquitted itself well if it does that?