From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Volokh, Eugene
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 2:53 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: Amish & foster care

    I'm not sure what the right answer is, but I'm inclined to say that:

    (1)  When a parent refuses to take a child back -- not just can't take the
child back because the child won't come, or because the child is a physical
danger to the other children, but refuses to take the child back -- it's hard
to see how he has a constitutional right to insist that the state ever return
the child, much less that the state take care of the child in a particular way.

    (2)  As a practical matter, my sense is that finding good foster care is
very hard as it is for the state.  Finding good foster care where the family
has a particular highly uncommon lifestyle would be much harder, especially
since (to my knowledge) many people who have precisely this lifestyle -- the
Amish -- tend not to want to get too involved with the state, and thus probably
aren't normally enrolled in the foster care system.

    (3)  Likewise, telling foster parents -- who often have multiple foster
children -- that they must "honor [Amish] values," for instance by refusing him
to play the video games that another child is playing, or to go watch a video
while the family is watching in the living room, strikes me as quite burdensome
on the foster parents.  They have quite a difficult job as it is without having
to tell the new kid that he can't do what all the other kids are doing.
Perhaps this is different as to ear piercings or a few other things, but
requiring foster parents to have completely different lifestyles for their
various foster children, and for themselves, seems to me to be more of a burden
than we can reasonably demand.

    Let me also ask:  How are things done when a foster child has been raised
to keep kosher or halal?  I assume one solution is to place the foster child in
a household that also keeps kosher or halal, but what if no such households are
available?  One problem, I take it, is that in some such situations the child
may himself wish to continue keeping kosher or halal, but might be unable to
arrange this for himself if he's young enough.

    Eugene