The Amish in Pennsylvania regularly deal with the outside world through
selling their many (often popular) products, watching television in neighbor's
homes, and simply mingling with others in the community.  I think it  unlikely
that he would have less understanding than a typical parent.  So I  guess the
question would be whether an average citizen would have understood  that the
immediate next step in response to that statement (which plenty of
nonreligious
parents say all the time) is state custody.

Marci

In a message dated 7/1/2008 7:51:49 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,