There is a whole series of recent cases like Arbaugh, trying to stamp out the
use of the word "jurisdictional" to describe substantive prerequisites to a
claim or severe statutes of limitation that are not subject to normal tolling
rules.

Quoting Christopher Lund <ed9...@wayne.edu>:

> Bob, this may be a dumb question and you may have an easy answer for me.
> But if you’re not referring to subject-matter jurisdiction, I’m having
> trouble understanding what you mean when you call this “jurisdictional” in
> a more general sense.  I understand that jurisdictional defects can be
> nonwaivable—that parties don’t have to plead them, courts have an
> independent obligation to consider them, even final judgments are void if
> they were present when litigated.  But my understanding is all of that
> only follows from problems with subject-matter jurisdiction.  Even a lack
> of personal “jurisdiction” can be waived, for example.  So I guess what
> I’m asking is this.  Once you concede that we’re not talking about
> subject-matter jurisdiction, doesn’t the legal claim that this is
> nonwaivable become quite hard to argue?  Is there precedent to say that
> problems other than subject-matter jurisdiction are nonwaivable?
>

> Regarding Eric’s point, a case that helped me was Arbaugh v. Y & H Corp.,
> 546 U.S. 500 (2006), where the Court held that the 15-employee requirement
> in Title VII did not go to subject-matter jurisdiction.  The Court was
> unanimous, and Eric perfectly summarizes its logic: Title VII is a federal
> law; therefore there is presumptively subject-matter jurisdiction pursuant
> to 28 U.S.C. § 1331; and nothing in Title VII explicitly says that the
> 15-employee requirement was meant to be a jurisdictional limitation on
> that.   Arbaugh also talks for a bit about the problem of “drive-by
> jurisdictional rulings”—the bad habit of courts saying that something is
> barred for lack of jurisdiction when they really just mean that there’s no
> valid claim on the merits—which may be exactly the sort of thing to which
> Eric was referring.
>

> Best,
>
> Chris

Douglas Laycock
Yale Kamisar Collegiate Professor of Law
University of Michigan Law School
625 S. State St.
Ann Arbor, MI  48109-1215