From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Christopher Lund
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 7:01 AM
To: 'Law & Religion issues for Law Academics'
Subject: RE: 10th Circuit Finds Church Immune From WorkplaceDiscrimination Suit

Bob, this may be a dumb question and you may have an easy answer for me.  But
if you're not referring to subject-matter jurisdiction, I'm having trouble
understanding what you mean when you call this "jurisdictional" in a more
general sense.  I understand that jurisdictional defects can be
nonwaivable-that parties don't have to plead them, courts have an independent
obligation to consider them, even final judgments are void if they were present
when litigated.  But my understanding is all of that only follows from problems
with subject-matter jurisdiction.  Even a lack of personal "jurisdiction" can
be waived, for example.  So I guess what I'm asking is this.  Once you concede
that we're not talking about subject-matter jurisdiction, doesn't the legal
claim that this is nonwaivable become quite hard to argue?  Is there precedent
to say that problems other than subject-matter jurisdiction are nonwaivable?

Regarding Eric's point, a case that helped me was Arbaugh v. Y & H Corp., 546
U.S. 500 (2006), where the Court held that the 15-employee requirement in Title
VII did not go to subject-matter jurisdiction.  The Court was unanimous, and
Eric perfectly summarizes its logic: Title VII is a federal law; therefore
there is presumptively subject-matter jurisdiction pursuant to 28 U.S.C. ยง
1331; and nothing in Title VII explicitly says that the 15-employee requirement
was meant to be a jurisdictional limitation on that.   Arbaugh also talks for a
bit about the problem of "drive-by jurisdictional rulings"-the bad habit of
courts saying that something is barred for lack of jurisdiction when they
really just mean that there's no valid claim on the merits-which may be exactly
the sort of thing to which Eric was referring.

Best,
Chris