From: "masin...@nova.edu" <masin...@nova.edu>
Sender: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 13:41:55
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics<religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu>; Robert
Tuttle<rtut...@law.gwu.edu>
Subject: Re: 10th Circuit Finds Church Immune From Workplace
        Discrimination  Suit

Professor Tuttle's explanation for why the ministerial exception is
treated as jurisdictional also suggests why it should be limited to
claims that implicate questions of qualifications to perform a
ministerial job.  Given that hostile work sexual harassment claims
arise from the failure of an employer to remedy tortious sexual
conduct by coworkers or supervisors directed at a particular employee,
why isn't Elvig, permitting such claims to proceed, a better decision
than Skrzypczak?

Sexual harassment almost always takes one of two forms -- unwelcome
physical conduct of a sexual nature or repeated targeted demands for
sexual favors; the courts of appeals have largely eliminated sexual
harassment claims based on crude language unaccompanied by unwelcome
sexual touching.  See, e.g., Mendoza v. Borden, Inc. 195 F.3d 1238
(11th Cir. 1999) (en banc); Gupta v. Florida Board of Regents, 212
F.3d 571 (11th Cir. 2000).  Recall that Meritor arose from a claim of
sexual harassment that involved allegations of sexual battery.  What
about the ministerial exemption should insulate a ministerial employer
from tort liability for sexual torts simply because the victim was an
employee?

The principal post 1991 Civil Rights Act remedies for hostile work
sexual environment claims are compensatory damages and attorney's
fees.  Though injunctive relief may accompany successful claims, its
scope is always discretionary, and could be adjusted or even
eliminated to ensure the absence of disruption to the spiritual
relationship between the church and the injured employee.  But how
does a claim for damages for what are in essence sexual torts
implicate the rationale for the ministerial exemption?  Courts do not
lack subject matter jurisdiction to hear common law tort claims
against religious institutions for sexual torts generally, so why
isn't Elvig the proper rule?  How will adjudicating the factual
question of whether those torts took place within the workplace
against an employee rather than within the church against a congregant
"enmesh the court in endless inquiries as to whether each
discriminatory act was based in Church doctrine or simply secular
animus" as the Seventh Circuit held in Alicea-Hernandez v. Catholic
Bishop of Chicago, 320 F.3d 698, 703 (7th Cir. 2003).  Bluntly stated,
what church makes submission to or tolerance of repeated unwelcome
physical sexual advances part of church doctrine?

Michael R. Masinter                      3305 College Avenue
Professor of Law                         Fort Lauderdale, FL 33314
Nova Southeastern University             954.262.6151 (voice)
masin...@nova.edu                        954.262.3835 (fax)