I think it looks quite a bit like Arizonans for Official English.  Although
Justice Ginsburg's unanimous opinion expressed "grave doubts" about the
standing of the intervenors to defend the state law, that did not "lead to"
the mootness finding, as Joanne may or may not have meant to suggest;
rather, the Court ultimately declined not to decide the question of the
defendants' standing and dismissed for mootness because the originating
plaintiff no longer had a case to pursue.  So it remains the law of the 9th
Cir. that ballot initiative proponents have a presumptive right to intervene
under these circumstances.

The plaintiffs in Perry chose not to oppose the proponents' intervention
during the district court pre-trial proceedings, and the district court's
ruling granting the motion to intervene was entirely pro forma, taking up
scarcely more than a page.   So I guess the question becomes, will Olson and
Boies change their minds now?  Since it goes to jurisdiction, presumably the
intervenors' standing could be challenged at any time, and the plaintiffs
needn't be bound by their earlier position.

I don't look for Olson and Boies to do so.  For one, they've run a smooth
and flawless operation so far, and it would look odd for them to reverse
course on something so fundamental to the case.  To the public, which
doesn't understand any of this, it would simply look like the plaintiffs
were trying to deny the defendants their day in (appellate) court.  More
importantly, I don't think Olson and Boies got into this case to simply get
a district court victory and call it a day.

Steve Sanders

  _____