Hi Steve:

Thanks for your thoughts.

Ginsburg's opinion in AOE v. AZ rests on mootness, but she's very clear that
the intervenors lacked standing to appeal the district court judgment.  She
considers and dismisses any possibility of the state having granted them
standing. She then suggests that the choice between a reversal on standing
grounds and reversal based on mootness is inconsequential. ( And, as an aside,
isn't she wrong? - reversal on mootness led to vacatur, while reversal on
standing would have left the district court decision intact, which would have
enabled the successful plaintiff to recover attorneys fees.)

But we seem to agree that strong dicta in Arizonans suggests that SCOTUS is
less liberal in its approach to intervention than the 9th Circuit.

I assume Schwarzenegger is still a defendant, and thus the state actor can be
enjoined, which goes to redressability.  And of course the state has an
interest in pursuing an appeal, just as the defendants in Arizonans did.  But
if no representative of the state participates in the appeal. . . , if its only
ADF, then what?  Even if neither litigant wants to challenge ADF as
defendant-intervenors, and the 9th Circuit follows its precedent, do you think
an appellate decision is vulnerable to reversal on this point? Would only the
appellate decision be affected?

Joanne Brant
Visiting Professor of Law
University of Alabama School of Law