Boerne is not an establishment case. Nor is it an equal protection case.  It
is a federalism case protecting state power from federal interference under
section 5 of the 14th amendment -- congress must make findings that the
state is engaging in serious misbehavior (I know -- too loose a word choice
here) before the federal government can act against the state to enforce the
substantive provisions of the 14th Amendment -- and even if it makes the
requisite findings, the action taken must be congruent and proportional to
the harm exposed.

In Boerne, RFRA was a sledge hammer to solve either a non-existent problem
or on that should have been swatted with a fly swatter instead.

So Boerne is not an establishment clause case.

Of course Stevens' concurrence is just that -- a concurrence -- and does not
create the rule of the case.

Can I reconcile the reasoning of the concurrence with the decision in O
Centro --yes, but only because one (Boerne) had protected activity (free
exercise) and the other (O Centro) did not (drug use).

Steve

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 8:08 AM, Andrew Koppelman <
akoppel...@law.northwestern.edu> wrote:

> In Boerne v. Flores, Justice Stevens declared that the Religious Freedom
> Restoration Act was unconstitutional as applied to the states because it
> violated the establishment clause.  "If the historic landmark on the hill
> in
> Boerne happened to be a museum or an art gallery owned by an atheist, it
> would not be eligible for an exemption from the city ordinances that forbid
> an enlargement of the structure. Because the landmark is owned by the
> Catholic Church, it is claimed that RFRA gives its owner a federal
> statutory
> entitlement to an exemption from a generally applicable, neutral civil law.
> Whether the Church would actually prevail under the statute or not, the
> statute has provided the Church with a legal weapon that no atheist or
> agnostic can obtain. This governmental preference for religion, as opposed
> to irreligion, is forbidden by the First Amendment."  Yet in Gonzales v. O
> Centro, he joined a unanimous Court in applying RFRA to limit the reach of
> federal law, without a whisper about the establishment clause.
>
> Any speculations about how these decisions can be reconciled?

Prof. Steven Jamar
Howard University School of Law
Associate Director, Institute of Intellectual Property and Social Justice
(IIPSJ)