This case is easy if one accepts the legitimacy of regulating and in some instances curtailing hate speech.

I know Eugene does not.

Sent from Steve Jamar's iPhone

On Sep 16, 2010, at 3:02 PM, "Marie A. Failinger" <mfailin...@gw.hamline.edu > wrote:

Per Sandys' and others' remarks, it seems to me if we think about it, virtually all of the incitement cases ultimately rest on the Court's perception that real people will or will not be seriously harmed or killed. (In Dennis and the WWI cases, apparently they thought yes; in Brandenburg and some other WWI and cases like Terminiellio, etc. no.) And, I think it is fair to recognize the dilemma that the local sheriff and judge (and ultimately the Supreme Court) face here: it may be true that we do not and should not hold individuals criminally responsible for their omission/failure to stop a criminal act from causing the harm; in that sense, courts and sheriff are not RESPONSIBLE in that legal sense for what violent Islamicists do about a Qur'an burning. But that doesn't mean they themselves don't face a moral dilemma in SOME cases like this, i.e., if they act to quash the speech, some people's lives will be saved, while uncertain harm to speech interests will occur.

Of course, predicting what will actually happen can be a messy business, as all of those cases point out, which argues for a strong speech-protective regimen. But as much a civil libertarian as I am, I am not sure I would not stop the Qur'an burning if I were quite convinced even one death would result from suppressing it, even if the "national security" rationale is more uncertain and nebulous.

Without necessarily wishing to defend Justiice Breyer's offhand suggestion, isn't the obvious difference between flag burning and Koran burning a) the predictability of "real" violence, some of it directed against Americans and ! b) severe consequences for basic American national security interests. Anyone who finds Scalia's "Americans will die" comment to be a plausible "argument" of constititional law should be hesitant to censure Breyer.

Sandy

From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu <religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu > To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics <religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu >
Sent: Thu Sep 16 11:55:58 2010
Subject: Re: N.J. public transit employee fired for blasphemy
I think Breyer was attempting to demonstrate his approach to constitutional law interpretation — thinking out loud to show how he would work through the material in an idealized, judgely fashion. H e's absorbed in the subject of case-by-case adjudication and how "ca refully" everything needs to be thought about. It was very ivory tow er of him not to anticipate how his statement would play in the pres s and with laypersons who jump to read it as tipping his hand on wha t he'd really decide about free speech and Koran-burning.

Ann