Can you give me the rule that supports not yelling fire? Or how to distinguish fighting words in all cases?

Context matters. Method matters. Calculated to inflame another matters.

Of course you may disagree with other speech rrestrictions because a computer cannot apply them in a simple syllogistic manner-- fair enough, but all such rules have boundaries worked out over time.

Sent from Steve Jamar's iPhone

On Sep 16, 2010, at 4:34 PM, "Volokh, Eugene" <vol...@law.ucla.edu> wrote:

I indeed believe that people should be free to express hatred of the Koran, or of Christianity, or of America, or of Israel, or of Iran, or of whatever else. And I think the suggestion that people could be punished – maybe even sent to prison , yes? – for expressing hatred of the Koran or of Islam just helps s how the problem with “hate speech” laws.

But the deeper problem with many calls for regulation of hate speech, including this one, is that they almost never come with a clear definition of just what constitutes the “hate speech” that people could now be punished for. Can we have a defini tion out on the table, so we can figure just what else besides burni ng the Koran would be punishable? (Would it, for instance, allow pe ople to be imprisoned for published the Mohammed cartoons? For argu ing that Catholicism is a diabolical religion, or for that matter a harmful one?)

               Eugene

From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu [mailto:religionlaw- boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Steven Jamar
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 12:24 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Cc: religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu
Subject: Re: N.J. public transit employee fired for blasphemy

This case is easy if one accepts the legitimacy of regulating and in some instances curtailing hate speech.

I know Eugene does not.

Sent from Steve Jamar's iPhone

Please note that messages sent to this large list cannot be viewed as private. Anyone can subscribe to the list and read messages that are posted; people can read the Web archives; and list members can (rightly or wrongly) forward the messages to others.