Sandy,

I agree.   I should have made my point more clearly, which is that many
people (like the poster to whom I was responding) seem ready to abandon freedom
of speech, and other civil liberties, at the thought of "even one death,"
while even thousands of deaths don't cause them to consider prohibiting
recreational drinking, or 70-mph speed limits, or a host of other social
behaviors that sometimes cause deaths.

Putting the Constitution entirely aside, doesn't free speech have as much
social value as a roadside tavern?   Perhaps we should just think of it as a
risky social behavior -- then we could more easily tolerate the deaths that
it causes from time to time.   ;-)

Art Spitzer