And then next we will have people arguing that women should have to wear burqas
in certain neighborhoods of American cities because of the anticipated reaction
of certain of the inhabitants. Or in all parts of the US, because our
"licentious" customs stir up anger that leads to terrorist attacks.

Once we start giving up freedom because of intimidation from those who threaten
violence, we have given up the game.

Who next will decide to engage in violence so as silence those with whom they
disagree, or so as to require them to follow religious rules of conduct? Isn't
it clear that a legal prohibition on publishing images of Mohammed is indeed an
establishment of a rule of religious conduct as law?

Should civil rights marches have been prohibited because of anticipated
violence by white racists? Should abortions be prohibited because of the
reaction of violent anti-abortion activists (though they represent only a very
small fringe of the pro-life movement)?

And if you think flag burning is unlikely to result in violence, you have lived
too secluded a life.

Mark Scarberry
Pepperdine