From: Eric J Segall [mailto:eseg...@gsu.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 12:51 PM
To: Douglas Laycock; 'Con Law Prof list'
Cc: religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu
Subject: RE: Hosanna-Tabor

Well, I am a bit reluctant to get into this with Doug and Gene but just a
couple of  thoughts. Smith, and the Court's recent Establishment Clause
jurisprudence, especially the parochial school aid cases, seem to suggest
that neutrality and general applicability are the keys to the Religion
Clauses (certainly Scalia and Thomas think so). I guess that's not true for
"internal church governance" but not sure why and, being one who believes
strongly in  Thayer type deference, I am not sure this is not one of those
cases where the result makes sense but is not constitutionally required.

I hope Doug and Gene agree that Smith was dismissed a bit too casually in
Roberts' opinion, if nothing else.

Best,

Eric