Professor Friedman’s thoughtful post shows that the decision  raises a line
of questions regarding the IRS position on eligibility for the Parsonage
exemption (see excerpt from IRS Audit Guide below) and local real property
tax exemptions for clergy occupied properties .

Can I be a “minister” for limiting my litigation rights upon termination but
not be entitled to parsonage.

Does the IRS have the right to determine if an applicant was
“commissioned…..and was  a duly qualified member”?  Why differentiate
between teaching at theological seminaries and religious studies in grade
schools ?

--------------------------------

Who Qualifies For Special Tax Treatment As A Minister

To qualify for the special tax provisions available to ministers, an
individual must be a “minister” and must perform services “in the exercise
of his ministry.” Treas. Reg. § 1.107-1(a) incorporates the rules of Treas.
Reg. § 1.1402(c)-5 in determining whether the individual is performing the
duties of a “minister of the gospel.”

Treas. Reg. § 1.1402(c)-5 requires that an individual be a “duly ordained,
commissioned, or licensed minister of a church.” The Tax Court has
interpreted this phrase to be disjunctive, finding the purpose is not to
limit benefits to the ordained, but is to prevent self appointed ministers
from benefiting. Salkov v. Commissioner, 46 T.C. 190, 197 (1966). The Tax
Court in Salkov held that a Jewish cantor was a minister eligible for the
IRC § 107 housing allowance. Id. at 198-99. It concluded that the petitioner
qualified because he was commissioned by, and was a duly qualified member of
the Cantors Assembly of America, which functions as the official cantorial
body for the Conservative branch of the Jewish religion in America, and
because he was selected by a representative Conservative congregation to
perform the functions of cantor. Id. at 197.

Treas. Reg. § 1.1402(c)-5(b)(2) provides that service performed by a
minister in the exercise of the ministry includes:

a.     Ministration of sacerdotal functions;

b.     Conduct of religious worship;

c.     Control, conduct, and maintenance of religious organizations
(including the religious boards, societies, and other integral agencies of
such organizations), under the authority of a religious body constituting a
church or denomination.

Treas. Reg. § 1.1402(c)-5(b)(2) also provides that whether service performed
by a minister constitutes conduct of religious worship or ministration of
sacerdotal functions depends on the tenets and practices of the particular
religious body constituting the church or denomination.

Treas. Reg. § 1.107-1(a) also provides examples of specific services
considered duties of a minister, including:

a.     Performance of sacerdotal functions;

b.     Conduct of religious worship;

c.     Administration and maintenance of religious organizations and their
integral agencies;

d.     Performance of teaching and administrative duties at theological
seminaries.

The duties performed by the individual are also important to the initial
determination whether he or she is a duly ordained, commissioned, or
licensed minister. Because religious disciplines vary in their formal
procedures for these designations, whether an individual is “duly ordained,
commissioned, or licensed” depends on these facts and circumstances

SAMUEL M. KRIEGER
Krieger & Prager LLP
skrie...@kplawfirm.com

Tel: (212) 363-2900