Dear Marty,

In this case, if I am reading the opinion correctly, the credits in question
are coming from "Oakbrook Preparatory

School, an accredited private Christian school."

In my view, the decision is "welcome" because -- as Marc says, below -- I think
it would be the wrong approach to say that, when a student transfers from a
non-state school to a state school, he or she may only receive "credit" for
courses with the requisite "secular" content.  As Judge Niemeyer wrote:

Also important to our conclusion is the governing principle

that private religious education is an integral part of the

American school system. Indeed, States are constitutionally

obligated to allow children and parents to choose whether to

fulfill their compulsory education obligations by attending a

secular public school or a religious private school. See Pierce

v. Soc’y of Sisters, 268 U.S. 510, 534-35 (1925). It would be

strange and unfair to penalize such students when they

attempt to transfer into the public school system by refusing

to honor the grades they earned in their religious courses,

potentially preventing them from graduating on schedule with

their public school peers. Far from establishing a state religion,

the acceptance of transfer credits (including religious

credits) by public schools sensibly accommodates the "genuine

choice among options public and private, secular and religious."

Zelman v. Simmons-Harris, 536 U.S. 639, 662 (2002)

(upholding an Ohio voucher initiative for this reason).

The court was careful to note that the school district had not encouraged
students to participate or inappropriately endorsed religion.  Like Marc, I can
imagine some abuses, and hard cases, but this one does not seem (to me) to be
one.

Best,

Rick

Richard W. Garnett