The tenth circuit's judgment upheld an injunction against the policy as it was written, and in doing so accurately cited Allen. The panel's later statement of what the school district might do on remand purported to decide an issue not before it (the constitutionality of a program the school had never adopted), and to that extent, would seem to be dictum, not binding in the tenth circuit and, for the reasons already discussed, not even persuasive in the fourth circuit. As a close friend who served for many years on a court of appeals regularly reminded his colleagues the more we write beyond what is necessary to decide a case, the more from which we will later have to recede.

I should qualify what I wrote in this respect, though -- I'm not entirely confident that the Court as currently comprised would find teaching religious doctrine in a public school elective course to be unconstitutional, though I hope that for Chief Justice Roberts, that would be a bridge too far.

Mike

Michael R. Masinter                      3305 College Avenue
Professor of Law                         Fort Lauderdale, FL 33314
Nova Southeastern University             954.262.6151 (voice)
masin...@nova.edu                        954.262.3835 (fax)

Quoting "Scarberry, Mark" <mark.scarbe...@pepperdine.edu>:

Mike Masinter suggested that the Fourth Circuit in Moss was mistaken in relying on its prior decision in Lanner v. Wimmer. Mike put it this way:

"Lanner affirmed the injunction insofar as it forbade academic credit for elective courses, leaving the school district free on remand to adopt religiously neutral criteria that focus on whether a release time course covers a subject for which credit could be granted. Although Lanner doesn't put release time credit off limits simply because a release time course has religious content, it reaffirms Allen's rule that, religious content aside, the subject covered be one for which a public school can grant academic credit."

I have to disagree with his reading of Lanner (and of Allen). The court in Lanner did not require that "the subject covered be one for which a public school can grant academic credit."

Lanner allowed release time religious instruction to be counted as custodial time credit (that is, to be counted as part of the number of hours each day that the student was to be in class under compulsory attendance laws), and to be counted as eligibility credit (that is, the number of hours of classes per day that the student had to be enrolled in to be eligible for sports teams and other extra-curricular activities).

The court would have allowed release time religious instruction to be counted as academic elective credit (that is, to count toward the number of elective units needed for graduation), except for an entanglement problem. Under the state education department's policy, schools were not to give academic elective credit for courses "devoted mainly to denominational instruction." The court held that the Establishment Clause did not permit the school to determine whether a course was "mainly devoted to denominational instruction," because that would create an impermissible entanglement. Contrary to Mike's reading of the case, the court did not require that the course be one for which a public school could grant academic credit.

The court in Lanner stated:

"If the school officials desire to recognize released-time classes generally as satisfying some elective hours, they are at liberty to do so if their policy is neutrally stated and administered. Recognizing attendance at church-sponsored released-time courses as satisfying graduation requirements advances religion no more than recognizing attendance at released-time courses or full-time church-sponsored schools as satisfying state compulsory attendance laws. If the extent of state supervision is only to insure, just as is permitted in the case of church-sponsored full-time private schools, that certain courses are taught for the requisite hours and that teachers meet minimum qualification standards, nothing in either the establishment or free exercise clauses would prohibit recognizing all released-time classes or none, whether religious in content or not, in satisfaction of graduation requirements. It is when, as here, the program is structured in such a way as to require state officials to monitor and judge what is religious and what is not religious in a private religious institution that the entanglement exceeds permissible accommodation and begins to offend the establishment clause."

Mark S. Scarberry
Professor of Law
Pepperdine Univ. School of Law