From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu [mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Marty Lederman
Sent: Saturday, June 30, 2012 9:26 AM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: Providing public school credits for release-time religious classes

Oh, sure. If a school counts "credits" for graduation purposes based on "total hours spent in any school" -- such that it gives credit for the student's outside courses in pottery, Pilades, drivers' education, SAT test-taking, etc. -- then of course it should not, and need not, discriminate against hours spent in religious courses. But no school does any such thing. Instead, the credits presumably must be for classes in service of the school system's pedagogic mission. On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 12:12 PM, Scarberry, Mark <mark.scarbe...@pepperdine.edu<mailto:mark.scarbe...@pepperdine.edu>> wrote: I'm having trouble seeing just what the awarding of credit means here and how it's problematic that a public school gives students "credit" for time sitting in a different classroom. There is no constitutional obligation on a public school to provide any particular level or amount or quality of instruction. The "awarding" of a high school diploma is not a conferring of a public right or license or anything of the sort.

I believe that religious schools include religion classes in their curriculum as part of the number of hours of instruction required for graduation under their accrediting bodies' standards and presumably under whatever Education Code may apply. If that practice sufficiently meets societal needs, then I don't understand why (as a matter of constitutional law) the public schools should have to drag in students to sit for additional public school hours when the students have a release time religious educational experience.

Consider this hypo: A public school district has relatively few specified high school graduation requirements (only two years of English, two years of math, etc.), but it does require that students be in school from 8am to 3pm. The school district sets up a release time program for religious instruction from 2-3pm. Must the school district now require students who are in the release time program to return to the public school and sit through a study hall period (or other class) for an additional hour, so that they have seven hours on the public school campus? If not, then the release time students are in effect being given "credit" for their release time educational experience.

Mark S. Scarberry
Professor of Law
Pepperdine Univ. School of Law

Please note that messages sent to this large list cannot be viewed as private. Anyone can subscribe to the list and read messages that are posted; people can read the Web archives; and list members can (rightly or wrongly) forward the messages to others.