I should add that, wholly apart from whether the particular Spartanburg
Bible School class was in any way, as Rick suggests, of some secular
educational value (which was, I repeat,* not* the basis for the court's
holding), the South Carolina statute at issue expressly provides that "[a]
school district board of trustees may award high school students no more
than two elective Carnegie units for the completion of released time
classes *in religious instruction**."*
*
*That is to say, the credits are specifically and unequivocally being
awarded *for the "religious instruction" as such*.
*
*On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Marty Lederman