Rick, I am not familiar with the methods by which public schools calculate
credits earned at private schools.  I assume that, in most if not all
cases, they use accreditation as a proxy, and simply assume that "30
credits" from an accredited school is equivalent to 30 credits in the
secular school, in the subjects that the state insists upon students
mastering, since the private school has a legal obligation to be conveying
the requisite education on those secular subjects (even if some of those
classes integrate religious matters or perspectives).

But if and when there is a case in which the public school system evaluates
the private school credits on a course-by-course basis, then no, it
couldn't award credit for, e.g., a catechism course.

None of those subtleties and questions of presumptions are present here,
however, because, as I noted earlier, the very *purpose* of the release
time here is not to allow students to continue with their state-required
studies (e.g., of literature or biology) in a private setting of their
choice (religious or secular), but instead specifically *to allow the
students to receive "religious instruction."*

The school district (arguably) has a legitimate interest in so
accommodating the ability of students to receive such a religious education
where the mandatory attendance rules of the school system would otherwise
prevent that exercise of religion.  (I'd add, however, that this is a
notable context in which Chip Lupu and Michael McConnell agree that such a
program is unconstitutional where, as in Zorach, the students "left behind"
are subject to "dead time."  See 60 GW L. Rev. at 705 n.81 ("In my opinion,
a released time program of the sort Professor Lupu experienced as a child,
in which the nonparticipating students were inflicted with 'an entirely
wasted hour of school,' would be unconstitutional.").

But the school has no legitimate reason at all for awarding *academic credit
* for such concededly "religious instruction."  To do so is
unconstitutional, in fact.  (And this is all the more so because presumably
religious instruction is favored -- South Carolina would not provide
release time, let alone credits, for yoga instruction, or hip-hop dance
instruction, . . . or, for that matter, religious instruction of the sort
most of us received *after *school hours.)